First Call for Abstracts
2018 CAPA PETROLEUM TECHNICAL SYMPOSIUM
DATE: Friday, October 19, 2018
VENUE: Marathon Oil Tower, 5555 San Felipe, Houston TX 77056
Big Data and Artificial Intelligence Accelerate Innovation and Technology Development in the Oil and Gas Industry
Dear CAPA Members and Friends:
Chinese American Petroleum Association is pleased to announce the 2018 Petroleum and Petrochemical Technical Symposium, which is to be held on Friday, October 19, 2018. This year, the Southwest Section of the Chinese American Chemical Society (SW-CACS) will co-organize the Downstream and Chemicals sessions with CAPA. The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) will continue to sponsor the student paper contest.
The symposium venue is the Marathon Conference Center, 5555 San Felipe, Houston TX 77056, courtesy of the continuing and generous support from Marathon Oil Corporation.
In recent years, the oil and gas industry has seen significant and critical advancement in data science and technologies derived from data management. Across technical and business functions, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are revolutionizing the traditional data analysis, data visualization, and predictive tools. High-speed tech computing could help reduce time and resources for trouble shooting, literature search, and improve reliability in operations. Machine learning, in partnership with human intelligence could expedite alternative screenings and accelerate innovation. In the meantime, the deployment of Big Data and AI-based technologies will require resources, infrastructure and technical support, and many issues such as applicability, reliability, and security are yet to be validated. This technical symposium intends to explore these evolvements from a systematic and big-picture view to better understand the constraints and potential opportunities, and identify areas to assist the integration of these novel tools and technologies in the O&G industry.
We encourage you to submit abstracts on relevant topics as described in the technical sessions below. Student members are also encouraged to submit their papers to the Student Paper Contest session and take this opportunity to share their research results as well as to improve their presentation skills.
Symposium Program Outline
(1) General Session (Morning):
Four to five invited keynote speakers from major oil companies and the service sector will discuss high-level, current and future challenges, opportunities and solutions.
(2) Parallel Technical Sessions (Afternoon):
· Exploration & Production
· Unconventional Plays
· Upstream Engineering and HSE
· Downstream and Chemicals (jointly with SW-CACS)
· Petroleum Reserves and Valuation
· Business Development - Panel Discussion
· Student paper contest - All student papers will be oral presentations in English. Awards will be given at the end of the session ($500 – 1st place; $300 – 2nd place; $200 – 3rd place).
(3) Abstract Submission
· Abstract: one-page in English, including your brief biography. Please use the attached template for your abstract
· Presentation: 20-minute delivery in English, plus a 10-minute Q &A
· Please submit your abstract to Dr. Po Tai via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the session for your paper in your email subject.
(4) Abstract Submission Deadline: September 10, 2018
We look forward to seeing you at the 2018 Technical symposium on October 19, 2018.
Dr. Mark Chang, CAPA 2018 President and Symposium Chair
CAPA 2018 Technical Program Committee:
Hong Jin (Co-Chair), Po-Ching Tai (Program Chair), Mei Yang, Xinli Jia, Kim Shih, Yi Chen, Jiasheng Qin, Lixin You, Meisong Yan, Zhipeng Liu, Tracy Pan, Cecilia Cui, Jing Xiang, Qi Zhang, Annie Hafner, Emma Luo, Shengkai Duan, Tuo Zhang, li Chang, and Jianxiong Chen.